6.22.2010

food...how i love thee...

yesterday i met with a nutritionist (which was easy to find because, luckily, one works in the building i work in).  i went in there expecting to have to cut out all the foods i love from my diet (because, of course, i LOVE cheese, butter, bacon... basically anything that has fat and/or salt).  how shocked was i when i heard these words come out of his mouth..."there isn't anything you CAN'T eat..." *gasp*  really?  of course this was followed by..."it's about eating the right things at the right times."  okay, but...really?  i can eat bacon?  i can eat cheese? butter can still be one of my best friends?  i could have kissed the man!  but i resorted simply to a gigantic grin on my face (which promptly made him laugh at me).  so, yes, i have to eat LESS of those things I love so much at one time....but i can still be the foodie i love to be!

the trick, i learned, is smaller portions and FIBER.   fiber is now my new best friend.  luckily, i generally like all veggies...so crunchy fiber it is. hello carrot, how would you like to be better friends?  i know i have pretty much ignored you for years, but can you forgive me?  i need you in my life! no...really...i actually DO need you. :)

i walked out of that office feeling pretty damn good about myself! how often can one say that when leaving any kind of medical office?

1 comment:

Anna said...

Good for you! Both for going to a nutritionist and writing in your blog again! Sounds like you're on the right track to a healthier Bethy!